My Snowy Weekend In Pictures

I realize that there have been oh-so-many posts about the wacky winter weather we’ve all been having this year, but here’s one more for you, anyway.  I had to write it, as it includes my VERY FIRST SNOW DAY!  Exciting, right?

RIGHT?!

Totally.

As you may recall, I live in Portland, OR and I’m originally from Phoenix, AZ.  My geography has left my exposure to snowy conditions quite rare and I have never in my life had an official snow day.  On Thursday, however, the snow started to fall and I headed out of work a few hours early – knowing it was going to wreak havoc on my bus ride back across the Willamette River.  By Friday morning, the snow was starting to accumulate and it wasn’t letting up.  I was thankful to the powers that be whom opted to close down my office for the day, thus letting my snow day began!  Snowlandia continued throughout the weekend – culminating in thick, dense layers of ice which starting FALLING FROM THE SKY (or, you know, tree tops and buildings and such).

It’s all been very eventful.  Here’s a peek:

I’ve always wanted to make a snow angel and finally got my opportunity on Thursday evening!  My first one ever:

snow angel collage

On Friday (my official snow day from work) the weather compelled me to spend time in the kitchen.  I drank lots of coffee and baked this vegan, gluten free chocolate chip banana bread from The Healthy Maven, which was absolutely delicious:

Slice with mug - edited

I did some running on the treadmill throughout the weekend, because in all honesty, running in the snow was a bit confounding to me.  I know people do it, but how, exactly?  I found myself feeling cooped up, though, and headed out for a couple of walks over the course of the weekend.  It was gorgeous!

Snowlandia 2014 - collage

I stopped for a few snow selfies along the way (and, yes, this IS the first time I’ve actually used the term selfie in regards to any photos of myself – another first!):

Day 3 - Snow Selfie 4 - edited

How was your weekend?  Any snow-filled festivities come your way?

23 comments on “My Snowy Weekend In Pictures

1. Fun! It’s always nice to have a snow day. As long as you safely make it home and have food!

2. Laura says:

Looks beautiful – and I love those selfies!

3. msokane says:

Running in the snow is the best! Especially on the west coast where it never gets very cold even when it snows. Running on snow is slower, but it’s a good workout for your ankles. Running in the snow, while it’s snowing, is magical. Your usual running routes look completely different and everyone you meet is happy! You might arrive home coated in snow, but you’ll feel so invigorated. As for clothing, wear the same gear you usually wear when running in the winter, just change your cap for a headband and add another light layer to your upper body, and don’t forget gloves.

4. Nice! I live in Atlanta so we’re awaiting our 2 snowflakes so we can all go home!

5. piratebobcat says:

Looks like fun! We actually got some snow in Texas, for a day, but it wasn’t the fun kind.

6. I’m glad you got to experience the snow! Nice pix.

7. Jim Brennan says:

I love running in the snow, but it does require careful footing in good conditions, ie no ice or hardened footprints, tracks, etc. fresh snow is best. Nice snow angel!

8. That sounds like a fabulous weekend! Congratulations on your first snow angel; it really is a great feeling, hey? :) And that banana bread looks divine. I’ll have to give that recipe a shot!

9. Joanne says:

I refuse to run on the treadmill. So I understand.

And yay for your first snow day!! I feel like it’s much more fun when you don’t have your whole world covered in snow 24/7 (or so it seems).

10. Oh my goodness, looks like you had so much fun with your snow day! I can’t imagine not having been exposed to snow my whole life. I’ve always lived somewhere that it snows like 6 months of the year. I am ready for Spring!

11. Erin Hedrick says:

I love your blog! And as a thank you for being such a wonderful read, I’ve nominated you for the Sunshine Award! You can read the details on my blog here: http://eatingmyfeelings.com/2014/02/20/eating-my-feelings-receives-sunshine-award/
    Congrats, and please keep writing!!