New Year’s Eve & Day are my favorite holidays. I get a little sappy and a lot introspective around this time. While I believe in regular reflection and goal setting throughout the year, I can’t help but find this to be an appropriate time to take stock of where I am, how I am doing, what I’ve done, and what is next.
There was a time when this process was primarily a negative one for me. I would stop to reflect on what I didn’t accomplish or what goals and dreams were out of my reach. In recent years, however, I’ve taken to heart just how important it is to give equal billing to what I have done. Rather then quickly glossing over accomplishments or milestones in order to continue moving upward and onward, I now recognize the value in celebrating the victories (large and small) that are behind me. And, while some believe that you gain wisdom mostly by rehashing your mistakes and failures, I also see the learning that presents itself in evaluating what has gone well.
To this end, here are some of the highlights, milestones, and victories that took place for me in 2013:
- 26.2 miles = Done! – The experience of running my first marathon have been shared in depth here and here, so I won’t say much more other than that it stands as one of the single best days of my life. I can’t wait for many more!
- Goodbye, Gluten – Going gluten-free was not something that I ever intended to do. It was (and still is) extraordinarily difficult for me, but 7 months later, my vastly improved health stands as evidence that it was what I absolutely needed to do.
- 1500 miles – It took me nearly right up until the end of the year to do so, but as of last weekend, I have run over 1500 miles for the year. So cool.
- 71 books – I love to read and always have. For me, books are a never-ending source of education, escapism, and inspiration all in one. I track my literary adventures over at Goodreads. If you’re interested in seeing what I’ve been reading, please head over and say hello (username: srrose).
- Facing down an old fear . . . The dentist! – I’ll admit that, prior to 2013, it had been quite some time since I’d dragged myself to the dreaded chair. It is an experience that long struck fear in my heart. Having little or poor dental insurance for a long time had supported me in running away from this fear, but I finally did it. After several trips to get all caught up, my teeth are happy and healthy!
- Cultivating creative confidence – This year saw me take some big strides in levels of self-confidence related to creativity and cooking. I can’t say that I produced the largest quantity of creatively driven output this year, but I found myself trusting my instincts more, feeling stronger in my skills, and being open to experimentation.
- Keeping THIS going – I know that I’ve had periods recently of reduced posting, but I’m thrilled that I’ve been able to keep this site going. I love it. I love the process of it and that I get to connect with so many incredible people around the world because of it.
I’m certain that I could go on a bit longer, but I will end my list on that note. So, thank you to every person out there who has been a part of all of this with me in 2013. I’m looking forward to seeing what next year will bring.
Happy New Year!